Keizer Fire District responded to a report of a house fire shortly before 8:00 am today. Upon arriving at the duplex, firefighters observed heavy smoke and flames coming from one of the garages.
The caller who lived in the garage reported the house fire on Pierce Drive N in Keizer at 7:53am while he was evacuating the home with his dog.
The caller stated he awoke to his mattress on fire. The home did have working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms in the traditional living spaces.
Firefighters battled the fire from the large garage door which had failed before they arrived on scene. They also cut holes in the roof to extinguish the fire that had made its way into the attic space.
Most of the fire was contained to a single side of the duplex in the garage and attic space. The second side of the duplex only suffered minor smoke damage. No one was home in the second side of the duplex at the time of the fire.
Four engines, two medic units, one ladder truck, two duty officers and one Chief and 21 firefighters responded to the incident. Salem Fire Engine 2 and a Marion County Fire District Engine, Medic Unit and Battalion Chief assisted with the fire. The fire is under investigation at this time.
Extensive damage to the residence was estimated at $100,000.00 and damage to the contents of the home was estimated at $15,000.00. No injuries were reported in the incident.
Fire officials want to remind residents that every sleeping space in the home needs to have a working smoke alarm. If you are sleeping in a non-traditional area such as the garage, a smoke alarm should be installed there.