Keizer Fire District provides car seat checks and installs Monday through Friday by appointment only. Trained Technicians will check your child’s seat for correct installation, recalls and damage, and best fit for weight, height, and age.
Please bring the following with you to the appointment;
- The vehicle you want the seat installed in
- The car seat
- The owner’s manual for the car seat and the vehicle
- The child if possible
To schedule an appointment please call us at 503-390-9111 or email Fire Prevention here.
Need assistance getting a car seat?
If you need help buying a car or booster seat, you might be eligible for Salem Health’s Car Seat Assistance Program. Call 503-814-2432 for information and to make a reservation for a Saturday clinic. More information is available by clicking here.
- Infants must ride rear-facing until they are two year old, but it is recommended that they remain rear-facing for as long as they remain below the upper height and weight limits of the safety seat.
- Harness straps should be at or below the level of the shoulders when rear facing, at or above the level of the shoulders when forward facing.
- Retainer clip should be at armpit level.
- Harness should be snug (you shouldn’t be able to pinch any harness fabric over the shoulder).
- No heavy coats or blankets between your baby and the harness!
- Children must be secured in an approved child safety seat with a harness until they weigh at least 40 pounds.
- Use the vehicle restraint system (seat belt) or the LATCH system (if available), but never both!
- The best child restraint is the one that you will install and use correctly each time!
- Children over 40 pounds must be in a booster seat until they are age 8 OR 4’9″ in height; back must touch vehicle seat back and feet must be flat on the floor.
- Make sure you do not pre-crash lock the seatbelt to use with a booster.
- The seatbelt should be in it’s normal position with the emergency locking feature.
- Your child should be mentally capable of sitting correctly in a booster for the whole trip. No slouching or turning sideways in the seat! Also, your child needs to keep the seatbelt where it is meant to be, over the thighs and across the collarbone, never behind their head.
- The booster seat requirement does not apply when the rear seat of the vehicle is equipped only with lap belts, provided the child is secured by the lap belt.
Vehicle Safety Belts
A child taller than 4’9″ or age 8 or older must be properly secured with the vehicle’s safety belt.
The child is properly secured if the lap belt is positioned low across the thighs and the shoulder belt is positioned over the collarbone and away from the neck.
Children 13 and under should always ride in the back seat!