The Keizer Fire District responded to the report of a house fire shortly before 4:30 pm today. Upon arriving at the house, firefighters observed smoke and flames coming from the front of the home.
The call reporting a house fire on Cade Street NE in Keizer was received at the Salem 9-1-1 center at 4:26 pm. The first unit arriving on scene reported moderate smoke coming from the single family home. When they entered the home they found that fire had done extensive damage to the upstairs of the home. The rest of the home suffered from smoke and water damage.
Four engines, two medic units, and two duty officers with 14 firefighters responded to the incident. Salem Fire Engine 2 and a Marion County Fire District Medic Unit assisted with the fire.
Firefighters determined that a cigarette that was improperly disposed of ignited the wooden porch at the front of the home. Damage to the residence was estimated at $10,000.00 and damage to the contents of the home was estimated at $2,000.00. No injuries were reported in the incident.
Fire officials want to remind residents to always completely extinguish smoking material before discarding and always put the remains in appropriate ash tray. Smoking materials are the leading cause of fire deaths and the third leading cause of home fire injuries.